Friday, March 21, 2008

Chinese Food

I actually had a decent meal in DC last night. Not only that, but it arrived via delivery! I don't think I've seen food delivered in the 5 months I've been here. Wow, delivery. I forgot about that. Anyway, I was introduced to some authentic Chinese by a friend who lived in China for two years. Now, I'm something of a Chinese food fiend, but this was a pretty new experience. I mean, there were actually like greens on the table, and they weren't deep fried or slathered in General Tso's sauce. They actually looked like vegetables. Who knew? We also had a cold cucumber dish swimming in a fiery red pepper sauce. The cold and hot combo was pretty awesome. As a fellow eater put it, the cucumber starts off all nice and cool in your mouth, then is like, "ok, I'm outta here," leaving you with a little back of the throat pepper burn. Fortunately, beer washed this away quite nicely. There was an equally hot and spicy tofu dish that I mostly avoided, an incredible sweet, sour, and hot shrimp dish, and a comforting platter of chicken and cashews for the newbies like me. Delish!

No comments: