Friday, June 13, 2008

And Then There Was Blogging

Yes, I quit my blog for 3 or 4 months there. Just wasn't feeling it anymore. Wasn't doing it for me. Spring time was here again and it was time to go outdoors and rejoin humanity. Blogging started counterproductive and antisocial and even (if this is possible) kind of retro. Like, are people still doing that? Am I one of those people? Come to think of it, my sideburns might be a little too long, too. Uh oh. I'm stuck in the late 90s/early 00s, aren't I? (I've never been a blog reader. I'm still not. So having a blog has always felt a little off to me anyway.)

Then lately I've found myself wishing I had some forum in which to sound off on ridiculous, meaningless things. Hmmm, if only someone would invent some form of thoroughly self-centered communications so that a person might a) sound of on issues he knows practically nothing about, b) trumpet his own mediocre comings and goings, c) pretend he did some "writing" today, and d) save friends and family from having to actually listen to this garbage over drinks or dinner. Aha! My blog! Oh how I missed you.

But here's what really brought me back. Me, an avid indoorsman of the highest degree, managed to acquire Lyme Disease. Perhaps I passed a tree on my walk to happy hour, I don't know. But somehow I got the classic bulls eye red mark on my leg (a real whopper, by the way, about the size of the top of a soup can) and the atrocious flu-like symptoms to match. Plus, to make it even more fun, I happened to be visiting my parents when I took ill, so I'm currently in day number 7 of lying sick in my old high school bedroom, at home with my parents, away from all my stuff (oh, sweet Netflix, why hast thou forsaken me?), feeling slightly better now, but not better enough to actually do anything, much less drive all the way back to DC, oh, and taking medication with one major side effect: I can't go in the sun while on it. That's right: I'm literally stuck in my parents' house. Until nightfall, at least. There are many creature comforts, to be sure, and it's kinda nice being doted on...but, again, this is day 7. How much Law and Order can a person watch?

On the other hand, I'm probably losing some weight from lack of appetite. And I haven't reached for my wallet in over a week. And I'm reading a lot. And...uh, I showered today. But, yeah, it's really come to this. I'm blogging again. Hallelujah.

1 comment:

Judi said...

welcome back sir. Sorry to hear about your illness!